Visit the Shop

03 February 2012

Retro Camera Case DIY

iPiccy: Loading picture

Apparently I have suffered from a serious sewing deprivation. I'm spending the weekedend up at my house which means I was able to use my mom's sewing machine. (I still haven't gotten the pedal to mine back yet...) Anyways, I sewed the day away and as such have a few little how-to's up my sleeve. Tonight's is something I mentioned yesterday, the retro camera case. The directions correspond with the numbered pictures.




You will Need: Felt in desired colors, velcro, scissors, sewing machine, etc.

1) Measure the background felt (in my case, cream)  so that it is a little bit taller than your camera. I then stitched around the edges, and I even added a "liner" felt to make it a little sturdier. I tend to drop my stuff a lot. haha:)

2) Cut the opposite color felt (brown) to be about 2/3 the height of the background felt, and then sew that onto the background felt.

3) For the Shutters: Cut 3 different colored felt circles, sew bottom two layers (blue and black) on with the machine. Hold onto that top layer (white) for later.

4) Take a small amount of the scrap background colored felt and make a small tab and sew one side onto one of the edges. Attach one side of the velcro (scratchy) to the tab and the other side of the Velcro (soft) to the inside of the cream and brown strip. When you close the case around the camera, it should now hold its shape. Cut a small rectangle of both the background and opposite colored felt, hold on top of the camera and cut out the shape of the top and bottom. (It should look like a rectangle with rounded corners on one side)

5) Do all the hand stitching: sew on the top and bottom, the flash, the buttons on top, and the white layer of the shutter. I always like to add my own little personal "lovelee". I feel like it finishes it off nicely.





The Finished Product:



Check back tomorrow for another how-to!


Have a lovelee evening! (or...what's left of it...)

-Lee


1 comment: