Visit the Shop

26 April 2012

10 tips for the class of 2012

 I decided to dedicate this post to all you graduating seniors this year. I've listed my top 10 things I wish I would have known or thought about before my freshman year. Some of them are obvious, but I think most are helpful hints.
this one would have been very helpful. You can still make your room/dorm cute without a ton of stuff that you're just going to have to hall back at the end of the year. (see #7)
 there are so many functions and parties on campus that offer free food. Take advantage of as many as possible--especially when your funds are running low and you need food. Yes, this happened to me.
 By this, I mean between school time and social time. Both are very important, and you definitely need both in moderation. Too much of one will lead to lower performance in the other.
 This is important to remember. I tried SO hard not to look like a freshman. I memorized maps, I studied school and bus schedules. But in the end, you will look like a deer-in-the-headlights freshman your first year.
your roommates are a HUGE part of your life in college. Make sure that you love them, and if you don't--change! It's never too late to tell your Hall adviser/etc. that you don't feel comfortable with them.
 Adding to what I said in #5, I would like to clarify that it is not enough to love them, but to keep loving them. Problems will come up, trust me. But make sure that your friendship is strong enough to overcome your spats. Also, DON'T hold grudges. It's not worth it!
 Just like I said in #2, don't just pack up all your life posessions and haul them off with you. Throw away, give away--your dorm will be much smaller than your room at home. I made the mistake of taking just about everything I own and let me tell you, it was a pain to pack it all up and move it back.
 I wish I would have gotten more involved--I was able to get involved through playing in the Phil and in my quartet, but I wish I would have branched out a bit more. It makes a huge difference when you have friends in your classes.
It is such a stress reliever to hear the voice of people you love--and your parents have some excellent advice, let me tell you!
it is so hard to catch up in college--because the work just keeps piling up. Your spare time will be be turned into "catching up time" if you're not careful.

hope that helps, and I hope you have a lovelee day!

-Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment