Visit the Shop

25 October 2012

Painted Sneakers: DIY



So this is actually more of a "helpful tips and tricks" DIY than an actual DIY. I found this amazing idea to paint your regular old tennies to look like saddle shoes on pinterest, of COURSE, but when I clicked through to the website, there were very few instructions, and the instructions they DID have were in Japanese. Uhhh...problem. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly fluent in Japanese. So I decided to use trial-and-error logic, and I'm rather pleased with the way they turned out. The image from on the left is from the original post, which you can find here.

白布鞋变布洛克鞋,不是能工巧匠还真不行。Some helpful tips/tricks:

-First of all, you will need a plain pair of sneakers (I got mine at target for $9), fabric paint, a paintbrush, and a temporary fabric marker.

-I used $2 fabric paint from JoAnne's and it worked like a charm. I would, however, advise that you check the actual paint color with the way it appears from the outside. I might have been initally slightly dissapointed that my shoes were golden instead of the tea brown advertised, but I actually ended up liking the color a lot, so it all worked out:)

-Use a SMALL paintbrush. I started out too big and that was definitely not the smartest idea.
-go slowly and maybe even take a few days to finish. Since you're working with paint, you can't really go back and fix your mistakes. Go slow, I promise it's worth it.

-mark all your lines and especially your circles VERY clearly.

-I painted the "large areas" first, and then went back and filled in/went around the small dots

-I did not paint the tongue of my shoe, and I think I like the look better like that. I did paint the  top "piping" of my shoe tongue and I love the contrast.

-the picture where they show the dots on the heel is WRONG! they drew the dots on the heel and then painted over them and moved the dots forward to the arch area of the shoe (visible in the last image, click to view larger)

hope you enjoy this fun little craft as much as I did!

have a lovelee day!

-Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment