Visit the Shop

22 January 2013

Art Journals: DIY

hello, kids! (I feel like I'm allowed to say that now that I'm 20. haha!) I hope you had a super great holdiay yesterday. I know I did, although I do wish this weekend had been a little more productive. Today I'm sharing one of my most recent projects that I absolutely LOVE. Hope you will too!

you will need:
-fabulous fabric (about 1/4 yard)
-equally fabulous, yet contrasting fabric (about 1/8 yard)
-an old (or dollar store) book.
-a drawing pad (top-bound)
-hot glue gun
-ribbon
-buttons (optional)


the first step to this project might be the hardest part, if you're as much of a bookworm as I am. But if you use a cruddy dollar store book, this should make it a little easier for you. You will need to tear out all the pages and remove the inner spine so that all that remains is the cover (front, spine, back) of the book.


next, cover the inside of your book shell with your favorite fabric. I folded the edge over once on mine and then glued it in to give it a nice, finished edge.


to make the pencil slots I put a pencil in the fabric and glued around it, over and over. This worked pretty well. I didn't do this for the pen portion, because I knew I could just use the pen lids to secure them in.


To keep my notebooks in I created little sleeves (pictured above) by using a similar method. I slipped the back cover of my notebook under the fabric and glued on both sides. For the smaller notebook I made two little mini sleeves and embellished them with buttons.


All in all, this was a very fast, cheap project and I use this thing EVERY day. If you're not into drawing or doodling, slip a regular ol' journal in there for a fun diary.

have a lovelee day!

-Lee

ps- I used my family's plastic comb binding machine to bind my notebook together. You can also find drawing notebook at your favorite craft store, but make sure you get one that is bound on the top.

1 comment: