Visit the Shop

12 April 2013

Make a Super Simple, Super Cute Skirt: DIY

The other day I was in a sewing mood. I needed to make something, but I didn't want it to take forever. I quickly sewed up a skirt and it was SO simple. It was about 45 minutes from start to finish, and only requires THREE straight lines of stitching. Don't believe me? Ask the dishes! No, don't do that. They don't ever tell the truth. Just trust me. Or keep reading. That'd work too.

you will need:
-measuring tape
-one yard of your desired fabric
-large width elastic (mine was 2"), about a 1/2 to 3/4 yard
-Sewing machine
-pins
Measure yourself where you want your skirt to hang. you should be so grateful that I am sacrificing my middle's privacy for the sake of a helpful photo:)
fold your fabric in half and measure out half of your waist's measurement. (so mine would be around 16"). I actually decided to just use all 21" as you can see in the picture below, and figured it would just give me more of a ruffled waist band, which ended up being pretty cute.

-cut your fabric to your desired measurement. You can also then cut down the fold if you want a 2 seam skirt. I kept it all in one piece so that I only had to sew up one seam.
Then I cut off the excess fabric on the bottom, leaving about an inch of extra fabric for the hem. See below:
Alright, let's sew this puppy up! pin up the side of your skirt and sew a straight stitch.
Alright, let's set that aside now. Measure your elastic length by putting it around your waist where you want the skirt to sit. You will want it to be just a little bit smaller than your waist so that it stretches just a bit.
Connect the ends of your elastic and sew them together with about a 1/8-1/4" seam. Slip it on to make sure that it's a good fit. It should look something like this when you turn it right side out:
You're so close now! Next you'll need to pin your skirt to your elastic.

Turn your skirt inside out and pin your elastic to the inside of the skirt, every 2" or so. I had my roommate Hayley help me with this step. She would pull the elastic tight and then I would place a pin on the two halves of the skirt, then she'd take one of the halves and pull it tight so I could place pins on the halves of the half, and so on. It really helped to have her do that, so I'd recommend this step as a buddy step.
it should look something like this:
when you're sewing the elastic to the skirt, pull the elastic as you go so that it's just like sewing two pieces of fabric together.

I wanted a little bit of lace on the bottom of mine, but if you just want a plain bottom, fold your seam over about a 1/2" and sew a straight stitch all along the bottom.
and voila! You've just made yourself a skirt, girlfran! And you were so worried.

have a lovelee day!

-Lee

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Where is a picture of the finished product sister?? I want to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot to take one! Ah! I promise it's cute. I'll try to add one in in a few days, after finals are over.

      Delete